Effects of witnessing domestic violence on children
Domestic violence at home results in emotional damage which exerts continued effects as the victim matures.
- 1 in 15 children in the United States were exposed to intimate partner violence for a total of more than 5 million children.
- 1 in 3 children who witnessed domestic violence were also child abuse victims.
- 43% of domestic violence incidents with female victims, children are residents of the household where the incident occurred.
- Children who witness intimate partner growing up are 3 times as likely as their peers to engage in violent behavior.
- Children who witness incidents of domestic violence (a form of childhood trauma) are at greater risk of serious adult health problems including obesity, cancer, heart disease, depression, substance abuse, tobacco use and unintended pregnancies than peers who did not witness domestic violence.
- Fathers who batter the mothers of their children are twice as likely to seek sole custody of their children as non-abusive fathers.